St. Anns Church

Danish Site:

Strona Polska:

   
   
 
St. Anne's Church

The church dedicated to St. Anne's has a history that spans nearly 110 years:

* St. Anne's chapel 1897-1902
* The first St. Anne's Church 1903-1938
* The current church since 1938

In Denmark, there has been a time when St. Anne, has been highly revered throughout the country. Several churches, chapels and hospitals named after her.

The foundation stone of the present church was laid by Bishop Josef Bremen on November 19, 1936. The church was opened less than two years later on 26th in March 1938 by the same bishop.

The architect was Svend Risom. The church measures 29m in length and 18m in width. Facade two towers is 24.5 m high. The 10 windows are 6 m high and 1.35 m wide. The style is antique basilica style with dark-coloured beams. The alter  choir has a triumbue, which is 7.75 m wide and 9.5 m high. There is seating for 400 worshipers.

The construction cost about 350,000 Danish kroner, of which 150,000 was collected as donations.

According to the builder Christensen, 29,000 cubic meters of excavated earth - carried in 1600 truckloads, 460,000 bricks and 400 cubic meters of concrete.


Sanctuary: Altar Panels

The altarpiece consists of 4 paintings: the Birth of Christ, the Last Supper, at the Foot of the Cross and Christ's Ascension. These represent the 4 famous events in Jesus Christ's life on earth. These paintings and the large crucifix were done by the artist Wilhelm Wils' hand and was erected in 1954.

Altar of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Our Lady of Perpetual Help's altar dates from 1946 and is the work of sculptor Axel Theilmann. The icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help by Birgitte West is an exact copy of the original image of revered in St. Alfonsus church, Via Merulana, in Rome. The six reliefs that surround the image, represent the Annunciation, Jesus' birth, the wedding at Cana, the Pieta and the Assumption.
They are the works of sculptor Wedel-Schmidt and were inaugurated on 1 May 1947. The inscription says: "By the end of 1944/45, as the war approached Denmark, and fear was all over, St. Anne's congregation promised to raise this altar in honor of God and his holy Mother, the perpetual Help."

On the occasion of 300-year commemoration of the scientist Niels Stensens' birth (1638),  two silver candlesticks with the scientist's coat of arms were donated.

Baptismal Font

The baptismal font has been at the old St. Anne's church since 1903 and has been shaped in Bremers sandstone based on the drawings of architect Emil Jorgensen. It has long been behind the church but is now located in the church choir.

 

St. Anne's Church, Dronning Elisabeths Allé 3, DK-2300 Copenhagen S., Denmark